Braddan Cemetery

Braddan cemetery chapel

Fees and Charges

Cemetery charges

Purchase of new grave £300
First opening of grave £400
Subsequent opening £200
Purchase of cremation plot £100
Opening of plot or grave for ashes £50

Funeral fees*

Service in church £210
Service in cemetery chapel or at graveside £200
Service at crematorium £200
Burial after service £125
Cremation after service £75
Burial on separate occasion £140
Disposal of cremated remains on separate occasion £90
Memorial service £130
Certificate of burial £35

*fixed by the Parochial Fees (Isle of Man) Order 2023




Braddan Cemetery is the parish burial ground of the ancient parish of Braddan. It is managed by the Churchwardens of the ecclesiastical parish of Braddan under the Burials Act 1986.

As the churchyard of the then parish church (Old Kirk Braddan) was full, the Braddan Burial Ground Act 1848 enabled the Churchwardens to purchase new burial ground off Braddan Road, a few hundred yards from the church. It was extended in 1898 and 1938, and is now the largest in the Isle of Man. The "Arts and Crafts" designer Archibald Knox is buried there.

A simple chapel stands in the middle of the burial ground; it has a bellcote with a single bell (by T Hodges, Dublin, 1858) at the west end, and an east window designed by Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott and representing the "Tree of Life".

Near the main gate is a cemetery office, an early commission of Baillie Scott, which is entered in the Protected Buildings Register. The plaque on the chimney bears the following quotation:

"Pallida mors aequo pulsat pede pauperum tabernas regumque turris"
(Pale death kicks at the door of all alike, the hovels of the poor and the towers of kings: Horace, Odes, 1.4.13-14)