Reproduced by permission of the
Treasury of the Isle of Man
© Crown copyright reserved
Text as at 1st January 2018
Return to Introduction
Commencement: the Act came into force on 8th July 1993.
(1) There shall continue to be an Ecclesiastical Committee of Tynwald and a Legislative Committee of the Diocesan Synod.
(2) The Ecclesiastical Committee shall be constituted in such manner as Tynwald may determine.
(3) The Legislative Committee shall be constituted in such manner as the Diocesan Synod may determine.
NOTE: S.1: subs.(2): the Ecclesiastical Committee was reconstituted by Tynwald on 20th May 2003 (approving the Second Report of the Standing Orders Committee for the Session 2002/03); subs.(3): the Legislative Committee was reconstituted by resolution of the Diocesan Synod on 23rd November 1993.
(1) A Measure enacted in accordance with this Act may make provision with respect to any matter concerning the Church of England in the Island.
(2) A Measure may —
[(2A) A Measure may provide that an act or other matter done before the coming into operation of the provision in question shall have effect, and be deemed always to have had effect, in accordance with that provision.
(2B) Subsection (2A) applies to Measures passed before (as well as after) that subsection comes into operation.]
(3) A Measure shall have the force and effect of an Act of Tynwald upon the Royal Assent thereto being announced to Tynwald.
(4) Schedule 1 shall have effect with respect to the procedure for the preparation and enactment of a Measure.
NOTE: S.2: subss.(2A) & (2B) inserted by Statute Law Revision Act 2017 s.29(2).
(1) Where a General Synod Measure contains a provision for the extension of that Measure, or of any provision thereof, to the Island by an Act of Tynwald or an instrument made under an Act of Tynwald, the General Synod Measure or provision may be extended to the Island by a Measure, subject to such exceptions or modifications as may be specified in the Measure.
(2) Where —
the General Synod Measure or provision shall have effect in the Island subject to such modifications for the purpose mentioned in paragraph (b) as may be specified in a Measure.
(3) A Measure which makes provision with respect to a General Synod Measure as mentioned in subsection (1) or (2) may do all or any of the following —
(4) This section is without prejudice to the generality of section 2.
In this Act —
(1) Anything done under or in pursuance of any enactment repealed by this Act, or having effect as if so done, shall have effect as if done under or in pursuance of this Act.
(2) The Ecclesiastical Committee and the Legislative Committee as constituted immediately before the commencement of this Act shall continue to be so constituted until Tynwald or the Diocesan Synod otherwise determines under section 1(2) or (3), as the case may be.
(3) The enactments specified in Schedule 2 are repealed to the extent specified in column 3 of that Schedule.
This Act may be cited as the Church Legislation Procedure Act 1993.
1. (1) The Diocesan Synod may by resolution request the Legislative Committee to consider any legislative matter, and to present to the Diocesan Synod a draft Measure to give legislative effect to such matter.
(2) The Legislative Committee may, and shall if so requested by the Diocesan Synod under sub-paragraph (1), present to the Diocesan Synod a draft Measure to give legislative effect to any legislative matter.
(3) The Diocesan Synod may by resolution approve a draft Measure presented under sub-paragraph (2), with or without amendments.
(4) In this paragraph "legislative matter" means any matter concerning the Church of England in the Island in respect of which the enactment of legislation is considered to be desirable.
2. (1) The Legislative Committee shall present to the Ecclesiastical Committee a draft Measure approved under paragraph 1(3), and shall collect and prepare the evidence and other information required for the proper consideration of the draft Measure by the Ecclesiastical Committee.
(2) The Ecclesiastical Committee shall consider every draft Measure presented to it by the Legislative Committee, and shall communicate its report in draft to the Legislative Committee, but shall not present its report to Tynwald until the Legislative Committee signifies its desire that it be so presented.
(3) At any time before the presentation of the report to Tynwald, the Legislative Committee may, either of its own motion or by direction of the Diocesan Synod, withdraw a draft Measure from further consideration by the Ecclesiastical Committee.
(4) The Legislative Committee may, with the consent of the Diocesan Synod, make amendments to a draft Measure, either before or after a conference with the Ecclesiastical Committee.
3. (1) Upon the Legislative Committee signifying its desire that the report be presented to Tynwald, the Ecclesiastical Committee shall present its report to Tynwald, with the text of the draft Measure (incorporating any amendments made under paragraph 2(4)).
(2) Tynwald may by resolution direct that the draft Measure in the form laid before Tynwald be presented to Her Majesty, and thereupon the Measure shall be presented to Her Majesty in the same manner as a Bill.
. . . . .
NOTE: Schedule 1: para.4 repealed by Statute Law Revision Act 2017 s.29(3). Provision for the announcement of Royal Assent and for publication and commencement of a Measure is made by the Legislation Act 2015 ss.8-10, 16-21 & 23A.
|Reference||Short title||Extent of repeal|
|1971 c.11||The Church (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1971.||Section 2.
Sections 15 to 19.
|1979 c.23||The Church (Application of General Synod Measures) Act 1979.||The whole Act.|
|1990 c.6||The Constitution Act 1990.||In Schedule 1, paragraph 5.|
Return to start